This week has been really exciting here in our area. We have had the opportunity to witness the breeding season of a species of frogs native to our area. These frogs, known as Wood Frogs are at a relatives’ pond and we have been having fun observing them. Boober especially loves splashing around in the water in his wading boots. He always brings a container to collect cool samples he finds in the pond.
We were lucky enough to catch, rehabilitate and release an American toad last fall. I found our little toad outside the hospital where I work one night. He had been a usual resident out back by employee parking at night, but I had not seen him for a while. The night I found him, he looked slow moving and weak. I looked at him closer and discovered that something had attacked him. He was weak and missing an eye. We made a temporary shelter for him in our classroom, observed him for about a week and feed him crickets, and named him “Little Sir”. Little Sir regained his strength and we released him at the pond. This season we plan on looking for him since he should be coming out of hibernation and mating too. We love nature study!
To help enhance our unit study we are using this freebie from Educents! It was perfect timing with the frogs mating season happening right now. We get to see these amazing egg masses and SO MANY FROGS! It’s one of the amazing parts of homeschooling. I love unit studies!
Isn’t it fun to learn about slimy squishy animals? Do your preschoolers or kindergarteners know about the life cycle of one of the squishiest amphibians – the FROG? It’s a quick and easy lesson to teach. There’s a free, froggy resource on Educents – just print the pages and start your lesson.
Ways to use this freebie with a Pre-K or Kinder:
This free resource was created by The Multi Taskin’ Mom and is available to download for free on Educents.com. Educents is the best place to discover new and innovative ways to keep kids excited about learning!
- Practice handwriting & copywork
- Reading aloud
- Sounding out the words
- Have fun coloring
- Just print & go
More frog-themed learning resources:
Do your kiddos LOVE frogs? Check out this animation about the Frog Life Cycle, and find more frog-themed games and lessons for all ages below.
- All About Frogs Packet – This frog bundle includes an informational slideshow, frog-themed anchor charts, rhyming word printables, number cards, writing organizer, and more (all frog-themed!!)
- Froggy Self-Control Boardgame – Use your frog markers to move across the board and practice relaxation, self-control, and body behavior in the classroom. Students will distinguish good choices from bad choices as they leap around the board!
- 3-D Frog Anatomy Notebook Model for Dissection – Use this 3-d paper frog model for a dissection-free frog exploration, a pre-dissection study tool, or even as a summative assessment during comparative anatomy studies!
- Frog Learning Pack for Middle Schoolers – A frog-eriffic packet of printable notebooking pages, activities, games and more!
Check out more frog-themed resources to integrate into your lessons!
Is Your Child Struggling To Learn?
This 5 day e-course will help you learn the true key to unlocking your child's potential. No matter where they learn: at home or in a traditional classroom. This information can truly make a difference for you and your child!